Pages

Monday, September 13, 2010

Makes you think (again)

Do please !!! have a look at this website: Storyofstuff.  Yeah, yeah, yeah, it's been said before, written about before, filmed before (remember the movie Koyaanisqatsi?). We in the 'West' remain, majority-wise, a comfy crowd, not wanting to deal, one a regular basis, with where "the stuff" comes from that we buy and use. Still, many of us have a lingering sense of the absurd, the insane, the 'it can't go on this way'.

If you need a little push to act - to figure out what you and I can do to stop over-wanting, -consuming, and -wasting, the people behind this website might give you the push you need, not least because of the quirky graphics and to-the-point messages and info-bytes; some of which sound so preposterous, one feels like saying: "Give me the source!" or "Give me a break!". I came across it by accident, having checked out the website of a singer I like very much, Nikka Costa, who seemed to have disappeared from public view.

Lemme' tell ya. I try! (I could try harder...). To buy local, organic. To buy organic cosmetics. Haven't gone as far as only buying organic clothing yet. Don't even want to think about the dyes, how the cotton or the wool was produced ... . But then the dental hygenist says I should buy an ultrasound toothbrush. Do I want to find out where all the parts come from? My mobile phone has probably got coltrane in it, from Congo. I should chuck it.

No comments: